European Aviation and Environment Working Group (EAEG)
The European Aviation and Environment Working Group (EAEG) is an ECAC/EU working group competent for addressing activities such as:
- European contribution to and coordination for the development of SARPs and guidance on CORSIA, and related ICAO events, and support to Member States in the implementation of the ECAC Bratislava Declaration;
- European contribution to and coordination for the ICAO Committee on Aviation Environmental Protection (CAEP) on a wide range of subjects, including a long-term aspirational goal for the reduction of CO2 emissions of international aviation, noise standards, non-volatile Particulate Matter, sustainable alternative fuels, assessment and forecasting, etc., and European preparations for CAEP meetings;
- support to European Council members via provision of briefing material;
- maintenance/development of ECAC's report on a standard method for noise modelling (ECAC Doc 29, 4th Edition);
- further harmonisation of European environmental policies on noise, local air quality and climate change, including via information sharing, exchanges on best practices and provision of guidance material; and
- capacity building, notably in application of the commitments in the Bratislava Declaration.
This group is co-chaired by a representative of one ECAC Member State and a representative of the European Commission (except for activities not involving EU competencies), and composed of European CAEP members and observers, EASA and EUROCONTROL, and the European co-rapporteurs of CAEP working groups and task forces.
This group is also open to the participation of advisers involved in CAEP work and able to bring expertise and committed to actively contributing.
This group meets in a wider format known as "EAEG Expanded" that includes all ECAC Member States, for the purpose of European coordination for major ICAO events open to all Member States, for replies to ICAO State letters deemed of high strategic interest for Europe, and for the coordination of State Action Plans for the reduction of CO2 emissions. Notably, it is in charge of updating the common section of European Action Plans for emissions reduction, presenting and assessing the ECAC/EU coordinated measures to combat climate change, and their benefits, in view of their submission to ICAO.
When deemed necessary, technical input or preparatory work is provided by small temporary or permanent specialised task groups, upon request from EAEG. These specialised task groups can be either formal or informal, either already in existence (e.g. AIRMOD, APER Task Group, SAF Task Group), or new groups, based on needs.