The European coordination groups on environment, facilitation, economic matters, aviation security, cyber security, and safety and air navigation met throughout September for the last lap of preparations before the 41st session of the ICAO Assembly. The groups discussed Europe’s priorities for the Assembly from the perspectives of their respective thematic domains, reviewed the available working papers, and considered the European positions on the papers in their domains.
Videoconference, 19-20 September 2022 — The role of technical innovations in addressing current and emerging threats, and challenges relating to the use of security equipment were the focus of discussions at the 56th Guidance Material Task Force meeting. The group agreed to develop three new documents in 2023 to promote technical innovations and the deployment of advanced security technologies.
Paris/hybrid, 14 September 2022 — Chaired for the first time by Machteld Cambridge (Netherlands), the ECAC Legal Task Force reviewed the working papers under the Legal Commission of the ICAO Assembly, and considered the European positions on these papers. Having discussed the group’s performance against its 2022 work programme, the task force agreed on its 2023 work programme, which will be presented to Directors General in December.
14 September 2022 — The ECAC monthly familiarisation webinars on basic knowledge on aviation and the environment resumed after the summer break with a session dedicated to a topic for discussion at the 41st ICAO Assembly (27 September – 7 October), and also addressed in a working paper presented by ECAC Member States: financing climate aviation ambitions and encouraging investments to promote sustainable aviation fuels (SAF).
Paris/videoconference, 8-9 September 2022 — Several new documents for inclusion in the ECAC Aviation Security Handbook were endorsed at the 51st meeting of the ECAC Training Task Force. The documents included best practices for risk assessment training, and best practices for training on the use of shoe explosive detection (SED) and shoe metal detection (SMD) equipment.
Videoconference, 7 September 2022 — The ECAC/EU Sustainable Aviation Fuels Task Group (SAF-TG) reviewed the main outcomes of the workshop on SAF reporting and claiming held on 6 July 2022, and invited Fuels Europe to provide its views on a SAF trading mechanism to comply with regulatory requirements and claim SAF benefits. Part of the meeting was also dedicated to revising the draft SAF guidance document currently being developed. The next meeting will be held on 13 October 2022.
More Articles ...
- Aviation cyber security experts make progress on new guidance and recommendations
- Focus on European priorities and ambitions for the 41st ICAO Assembly at Directors General meeting in Sorrento
- ECAC Directors General support ambitious goals to tackle climate change impacts of civil aviation
- ECAC Coordinating Committee discusses ICAO Assembly preparations and other strategic ECAC issues
- Training course on best practices for national auditors
- ECAC organises second and third training courses in 2022 on covert testing
- Europe at the ICAO high-level meeting on environment
- Familiarisation course for Directors General
- European Aviation and Environment Working Group prepares for ICAO conferences
- ECAC task group works on SAF guidance document